Steps to the Altar is exactly what is happening right now with my family, more specifically my son and future daughter-in-law. They are taking all the steps toward the big day, June 8, 2013.
The past few months have been filled with fun wedding events, including two showers, one given by each family. My gift at the Abraham shower was their wedding quilt, appropriately titled, Steps to the Altar.
I started to design the quilt in January after Erin chose her bedding which is a mono-chromatic nickel. I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go from there. I had a few decisions to make and I’m not gonna lie, I did stress about this a bit. I needed to decide on the pattern, colors and fabrics and get moving.
There were so many different quilts that I had in mind but I ended up choosing the Steps to the Altar block while working on some samples for the block of the month class that I teach. We are working on Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler, the spin-off book from Jennifer Chaiverini’s novel The Master Quilter. I was flipping through the book, deciding which blocks to teach and came upon Steps to the Altar. After some research and looking at several block layouts, I decided on a block a bit different than Sylvia’s. After a bit of math for all the fabric calculations I was ready to pick some the fabric . After a few trips to a local quilt shop, my own stash and some internet stores, I decided on the block fabrics in greys and blacks, and I chose a border from The Morris Apprentice collection from Moda. Quilt construction went very smoothly – lots of HST’s and 4-patches. Did I mention this was queen size, quite a lot of fabric!
The blocks came together and then it was time to measure the borders. I absolutely LOVE this border fabric. I thought it tied everything together. Steps to the Altar was just steps away from being finished.
I was able to find an awesome black quilt back online – no piecing, 108″ wide. So as soon as the quilt top was finished, I handed it over to my friend Darlene (SewBusy Quilting) for machine quilting. Darlene did an awesome job. Binding was on, quilt label too, and then wrapped and ready for the shower! And with the quilt there needs to be some pillowcases, so with the leftover fabric, I made two sets.
I couldn’t end this post without a few words about the shower, and also share some pictures of the bride and groom. The shower, hosted by my two daughters, was champagne themed, a bubbly bridal shower. We got a lot of great decorating and recipe ideas from Pinterest and made place card holders from champagne corks which the guests could later use as photo holders. We also had beautiful layered candles made by Antoinette’s Candles.
It was a beautiful day with friends and family. And as the happy couple continues to take their steps to the altar with more pre-wedding events, they look forward to their big day!
Congratulations to Erin and Michael!